Open EnrollmentImportant benefits information for HR and people leaders
Benefits Enrollment Is Closed
Benefits effective July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024
Make sure to Compare the Plans so you can choose the right coverage for you and your family. If you don’t enroll, you will not have coverage.
What's New for 2023–2024
- Medical plan administration moving from Aetna to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX). For the Basic PPO, Enhanced PPO and Choice HSA plans, BCBSTX will take over administration as of July 1, 2023. Most of the current providers our Team Members are using will be in the BCBSTX network, but there could be some instances where that isn’t the case.
- Prime Therapeutics replaces OptumRx as our pharmacy benefit manager. Anyone currently using home delivery for medications taken regularly will need to get a new prescription. Team Members will be able to receive one 30-day fill at a retail pharmacy before the mail order requirement applies.
- Some fertility treatments will be covered by Michaels BCBSTX medical plans. Based on the diagnosis, our plans will now cover one cycle of fertility treatment and medications.
- MDLive will replace Teladoc for 24/7 virtual health care services for Team Members enrolled in a BCBSTX medical plan. Look for more information soon about BCBSTX clinical programs and resources for support.
- The premium surcharge for spouses/domestic partners with coverage available elsewhere will be eliminated. We will no longer charge Team Members extra for covering a spouse or domestic partner if that individual has coverage available from another employer’s plan. NOTE: Team Members covering a working spouse/domestic partner will still have to enroll in the Enhanced PPO.
- Kaiser Telehealth replaces Teladoc. Team Members enrolled in a Kaiser medical plan (for California Team Members only) can access virtual care through kp.org/getcare.
- Plan year change for FSA and HSA contributions. We are adjusting the plan year for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) contributions and Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions for Team Members enrolled in the Choice HSA Plan. IRS contribution limits for both plans are calendar/tax year limits, so we are changing our plans to have calendar year elections. During the May enrollment period, Team Members will make FSA and HSA elections covering the last six months of the year (July 1 to December 31, 2023). We will conduct another enrollment later in the year for just these two plans that will cover the 12-month period January 1 to December 31, 2024. Going forward, we will conduct a separate FSA/HSA enrollment for the upcoming calendar year.
- The reporting period for qualified life event benefit changes is now 30 days. The amount of time Team Members have to report a qualified life event change (birth, marriage, divorce, etc.) is changing from 60 days to 30 days.
What Team Members Need to Do
We encourage Team Members to review your options and the changes taking effect July 1. They don’t have to enroll to keep their current coverage, but there are some exceptions. They must log in to Workday and actively enroll to:
- Change current benefit elections
- Add or drop covered dependents
- Enroll in or continue participating in a Health Care or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) (the IRS requires a new election each year)
- Begin saving or change Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions (the HSA is only available with the Choice HSA medical plan)
If Team Members take no action, their current benefit elections will continue at the new 2023–2024 rates, except for FSA and HSA participation. With the exception of FSAs and the HSA, our benefit plans will still have a July 1 to June 30 plan year.
Annual enrollment is Team Members’ opportunity to add new coverage or change their existing plans. Some of their current elections will carry over to the new plan year if they take no action, but we recommend they review their options, get to know what’s new and use their resources for learning more about the programs available to them.
They will only be able to change elections after May 17 if they have a qualified change in status such as a marriage or a new baby.
Medical Premium Surcharges for Wellness and Tobacco
There are two ways Team Members can avoid paying more for medical coverage premiums for the upcoming plan year.
Complete the Wellness Requirement
If a Team Member, or a Team Member and spouse/domestic partner are enrolled in a Michaels medical plan, each needs to complete an annual physical between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023 to avoid paying a $25 per paycheck ($650 for the year) surcharge on medical premiums beginning in August 2023.
If a Team Member and/or spouse/domestic partner uses tobacco, including e-cigarettes and non-nicotine vaporizers, $25 per paycheck ($650 for the year) will be added to medical premiums beginning in July. Team Members can’t use tobacco products for at least six months to be considered tobacco-free, and they can only change their tobacco status during Open Enrollment.
Open Enrollment Webinars
In-Person Open Enrollment Meetings: Royal Ridge Auditorium
|Wednesday, May 3||4 p.m. Central|
|Tuesday, May 16||11 a.m. Central|
The eValuate Health Plan Selector tool allows Team Members to estimate their medical and prescription costs during the year and determine which plan provides the level of care they prefer and at the most affordable price.
Team Member Communications
Wellness requirements, sent March 17
Wellness deadline, sent July 17
Wellness Email #2
Wellness requirements, sent April 19
Wellness completion, sent July 17
Wellness Email #3
Wellness requirements, sent May 18
Wellness Email #4
Wellness requirements, sent June 19
Announcement Mailer - Spanish
Translation of English home mailer
Details about plans and changes
Enrollment Guide - Spanish
Translation of 2023-2024 English enrollment guide
Sent with table tents to be displayed in stores/DCs, shipped April 20
Sent to homes of Team Members currently out on leave of absence (LOA)